So you got a brand new Windows Phone device for Christmas and still don’t know what to install on it?
Then look no further: here is the list of the best apps I have installed on my own phone!
- Twitter – The fully featured Twitter app with multiple account support and push notifications that actually do work!
- Facebook Beta – There is also a non-beta Facebook official app, but I prefer the beta one as it gives me the latest features sooner! 😉
- 4th & Mayor – I know that there is an official Foursquare app and that it’s a lot better than the first version, but I still prefer 4th & Mayor from Jeff Wilcox as it is quite simpler and uses a more direct approach!
- WhatsApp – free messaging that works on pretty much any phone? Yes, thank you very much!
- Skype – The official Skype app, really good when it actually works… this is the one app I really need and sometimes fails me miserably :\
- 6tag – developed by Rudy Huyn, probably the best Instagram app for Windows Phone. There is an official Instagram BETA app, but it’s still lacking some features…
- Disqus – It’s probably the most used network for commenting on forums and blogs everywhere!
- LinkedIn – LinkedIn official app, to keep in eye on your professional connections.
- Viber – Another VOIP app, quite known out there
Tools + Productivity
- Authenticator – In a time where security and privacy are lacking more and more, using two-factor sign-in whenever possible does help a bit (Microsoft, Google, and other websites use this approach)
- Google – not that different than accessing www.google.com with the browser, but nevertheless it’s the only app that Google has on Windows Phone…
- Adobe Reader – Official Adobe Reader app to open PDF files on the phone. There is also a PDF Reader from Microsoft as a really good alternative.
- BoxFiles for Dropbox – There are quite a few Dropbox apps right now for Windows Phone (none is official) and I personally like this one.
- SkyDrive – full featured official SkyDrive app from Microsoft.
- GDrive – Using Google Drive? Then this is what you need! It’s not a fully featured client, but at least it is better than nothing!
- TeamViewer – Access your machine remotely using TeamViewer.
News + Weather
- Nextgen Reader – this is the #1 app in my phone!!! I just couldn’t go by without reading my RSS feeds, and given it uses Feedly as source, all my feeds are synchronized; just perfect!!
- Amazing Weather HD – A really good weather app with nice look and quite a few features. A free alternative is Bing Weather, also quite nice!
Lifestyle / Shopping
- Amazon Mobile – Search Amazon, purchase stuff, check your order status…
- eBay – The app is quite simple and could use a better look, but it works well and does a proper job alerting when auctions are about to end.
Travel + Navigation
- Geosense – quite useful to convert from different GPS coordinates types, to get my location, open KML files from Google Earth… and yes, I wrote it and that’s also another reason why it’s here, so sue me! 😛
- TripAdvisor – I always like to read the reviews on hotels and restaurants on TripAdvisor before I actually go to the place.
- Currency – Currency exchange, provided by XE
- IMDb – The official IMDb app for Windows Phone, probably the best showcase for a WP app and the best IMDb client you’ll find in any mobile device!
- Helium Voice Free – Because it’s fun and I like to show kids!
- Office Remote – do you do PowerPoint presentations? Then do yourself a favor and install this in your Windows Phone!
- PayPal – I like to keep a close eye on my PayPal transactions!
- Pictures Lab – Nice, clean, and fast, picture effects app, developed by René Schulte.
- Tile Me! – Create a Windows Phone tile picture with this app, and use it everywhere! 😀
Music + Video
- YouTube – a couple a months ago there was an official YouTube app (and it was really good, I might add), but Google pulled the plug on it and so we are stuck with just this miserable plugin and YouTube mobile website…
- Shazam – You know when you’re in a party, listening to a music that you actually like and don’t know who the artist is? That’s when Shazam comes quite handy!
- Sax – A simple fun way of playing saxophone without one!
Books + Reference
- Wikipedia – it’s Wikipedia, and that is all anyone needs for reference…
So go on now, install some apps in your phone and have fun!
And by the way: Happy New Year!!!